OCT | NOV | DEC | APR | MAY
SUNDAY, OCTOBER 30, 2011 — 11:00 AM
Founders' Day Service at First Baptist Church in America
We will observe Founders' Day at First Baptist Church in America at 75 North Main Street, Providence, RI. The Church Service at 11:00am will be followed by a deli lunch (provided) at 12:30pm. Preceding our meeting, Dr.
Joanne Schneider, a First Baptist member and Professor of History at Rhode Island College, will be our guest speaker. Her topic: "Roger Williams, Rhode Island, and Its History Through Historic Sites."
Directions: From Rte. 95 North or South take Exit 22 Downtown. At the end of the exit, go straight across on
Memorial Blvd. The Church steeple will be directly in front of you. Go to the third light and turn left over the
Washington St. Bridge. Proceed one block to the next light on North Main Street. The Church will be directly in front of you.
SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 12, 2011 — 11:00 AM
Walk to Roger Williams Shelter near North Swansea/Warren Line
We will meet at the Robert Chace Farm at 68 Birch Swamp Road in Warren, RI. We will drive part way, then take
the 10 minute walk to the rock shelter named Margaret's Rock after the Wampanoag squaw who nursed an ill Roger back to health. It was here that, during that very cold winter of 1636 and with the aid of Massasoit,
Roger spent 14 weeks following his banishment from Massachusetts Bay Colony and prior to his founding Providence. Bring a picnic lunch and a lightweight folding chair.
Rain date: Sunday, November 13, 2011 — 1:00 pm.
Directions: From Providence take Rte. 195 South. Take Exit 2 and turn right onto Rte. 136. Travel 1.7 miles,
then left onto Birch Swamp Road. Go 0.3 mi. and, where road makes a 90 degree turn to the right, go straight at "Windswept Farm" sign. Take first right to farm house.
SATURDAY, DECEMBER 10, 2011 — 11:30 AM
Presentation at Brown University's John Hay Library
We will gather at the home of Clifford and Marilyn Brown at 180 Brown Street in Providence, RI and car pool to
the John Hay Library at Brown University (If you prefer, you may go directly to the Library on Prospect Street, between Waterman and College Streets). At noon we will attend a reception at the library for an exhibit on
Roger Williams, consisting of rare books from the John Hay and John Carter Brown libraries, and a set of artifacts
that portray Roger Williams (selected from the collection of Al Klyberg, former head of the RI Historical Society).
This collection consists of more than 400 objects, including posters, drawings, promotional pieces, and other works of art, artisanship, and commerce. The exhibit, organized by Ray Rickman and curated by Robb Dimmick,
will include items spanning more than a century. At 12:45, Paul Campbell, Providence City Archivist, will speak to
the group about his recent discovery of the Providence Town Charter of 1638. All will then repair to the Brown
residence for our annual holiday party, at which we will hold a meeting, sing carols, and enjoy our traditional tea.
Directions: From Rte. 95 North or South take Exit 22 Downtown. At the end of the exit, go straight across onto
Memorial Blvd. Go to the third light and turn left on Washington St., following it to the base of the hill by First Baptist. Continue up the hill on Waterman St. to Brown St. Turn left and proceed 7 blocks. The Brown
residence is at the corner of Keene St. Legal parking is available on your right and on Keene St.
SATURDAY, MARCH 24, 2012 — 10:00 AM (sharp)
Tour of the Eleazer Arnold House
We will meet at the Eleazer Arnold House at 487 Great Road in Lincoln, RI. Built in 1693, the Arnold House is a
rare surviving example of a "stone-ender." A specially arranged, one hour tour has been set for 10:00 am, an
hour before the public is admitted. Bring a picnic lunch for nearby picnic tables. If inclement weather, a room will
be provided for the picnic and business meeting. Admission is $4.00 for seniors, $5.00 for adults. Parking is provided next door at Gateway Park. In the afternoon, members may visit the Quaker Saylesville Meeting House,
a mere 750 feet away. Built in 1704, it is the oldest continuously used meetinghouse in Rhode Island.
Directions: Follow Rte. 295 to Rte. 146 South. Take Exit 9 to Rte. 123/Breakneck Road and go east (left) on
Breakneck Road for 1.5 miles. Parking area is on left before the house.
SATURDAY, APRIL 21, 2012 — 11:00 AM
Tour of the Narraganset Tomaquag Indian Museum
We will meet at the Museum located at at 390 Summit Road in Exeter, RI. The first hour will feature a guided tour of the museum showcasing the history, culture and arts of the indigenous peoples, a traditional legend
often teaching a moral lesson as told to our educators by Tribal Elders, and demonstrations of traditional music.
The second hour will entail a Native Film Presentation, "Language of America," in their seated theatre. This topic
is appropriate as Roger Williams wrote the first Native American dictionary of the Narraganset Native language in
1643. Bring a picnic lunch and enjoy their picnic benches (weather permitting), followed by a short business meeting. If rain, a room will be available from 1:00 to 2:00 pm. Admission is $15.00 per person.
Directions (due to certain bridges not being rebuilt since floods, please follow this temporary detour): From points north, take Rte. 95 South passing Providence. Merge onto Rte. 102 South via Exit 5A toward
Exeter/Rte.165/Arcadia/Beach Pond. Stay straight onto Rte. 3/Nooseneck Hill Road, then right onto Rte. 165/Ten Rod Road. Continue on Rte.165 for 2 miles, then left onto Arcadia Rd. Follow around pond, bearing
right at stop sign, then right onto Summit Rd. Museum is 1/8 mile on right; after small bridge, turn right uphill to Tomaquag. From points south, take Rte. 95 North to Rte. 138 West via Exit 3B toward Wyoming/Hope
Valley. Turn onto Rte. 3 North, follow about 5 miles, then left onto Rte. 165. Continue on Rte. 165 for 2 miles,
then left onto Arcadia Rd. Follow around pond, bearing right at stop sign, then right onto Summit Rd. Museum is 1/8 mile on right; after small bridge turn right uphill to Tomaquag.
SATURDAY, MAY 19, 2012 — 11:00 AM
Tour of the Antique Carriage and Sleigh Museum
We will meet at Olde Ransom Farm located at 509 New London Road in Salem, CT. The farm is a restored
Colonial farm dating back to 1784. A conducted tour will describe the history of each of the 24 carriages, sleighs
and wagons, showing how people and goods were transported over one hundred years ago. Bring a folding chair
and a picnic lunch; beverages will be provided and a gas grill will be available for our use. A business meeting will follow lunch. Please let us know if you want to carpool.
Directions: From Rte. 95 South, after crossing the Groton/New London bridge, take Exit 82 toward Rte. 85/Colchester/Hartford/Waterford. At end of ramp, turn right onto Rte. 85 and travel north for 7.8 miles. As
you pass the Salem Town Line sign, proceed up the hill about 1500 feet. Still on Rte. 85 at the top of the hill is
a large white Colonial with black shutters and white fencing; this is Olde Ransom Farm. Turn left up the drive.
SATURDAY, JUNE 23, 2012 — 11:00 AM
Annual Meeting and Presentation at Roger Williams Memorial
We will meet at the Memorial located at 282 North Main Street in Providence, RI and begin with an informal
presentation given by Park Ranger and Honorary Lifetime Member, John McNiff. He will conduct a talk on local
history and the founder of Providence, Roger Williams. After Ranger McNiff's presentation, we will hold a short business meeting followed by our annual meeting as we enjoy a picnic lunch on the grounds of the park.
Directions: From Rte. 95 North, take the State Office exit. At the end of the exit, go straight across Orms St.
Turn left onto Smith St., right at the bottom of the hill onto Canal St., then immediate left into Memorial's parking lot.
SATURDAY, JULY 14, 2012 — 11:00 AM
Tour of George Wheeler Steere Farm 1867 Dairy Barn
Last summer we visited the farm of George Wheeler Steere at 100 John Steere Road in Chepachet, RI for a tour
of the 1810 Anthony Steere Sawmill. This year we will return to the farm for a tour of the recently renovated
1867 dairy barn and a talk by Clifford Brown on the barn and the family dairy business which operated from 1867
until 1974. For those who did not visit the sawmill last year, a guided tour will be conducted after the regular program is completed. We will hold a business meeting as we enjoy a picnic lunch on the farm; drinks and
dessert will be provided.
Directions: From Route 295, take Route 44 West exit. Proceed towards Glocester and into Chepachet Village. At
the traffic light, proceed straight onto Route 102, then bear right at fork, continuing on Route 102. Proceed about 1/2 mile, then bear right onto Old Victory Highway. Turn right onto John Steere Road. The mill is about
1/2 mile down the road.